Slide 8 of 12
These five levels, developed by Richard Stubbs of Newham Online, are intended to illustrate different degrees of interaction and user capacity and control. Richard is also chair of UK Citizens Online Democracy.
Richard suggested - and I agree - that these revised levels are preferable as they better reflect the reality of online working.
Different software applications and systems will be appropriate for the different levels, for example:
- One-way email announcement lists and Web are OK for information
- Email and Web forms work for interaction
- Email discussion lists and conferencing are appropriate for the next level (with facilitation)
- Group working may require groupware and a lot of collaborative working skills
- Democratic communities - in Richardís term - will require a range of applications and skills, and control over a system.